Growing cannabis doesn’t necessarily require a scale, but when you’re harvesting the fruits of your labor, you’ll want to know to be able to measure your success. This is where a weed scale comes in, not only is it a way to know how much weed you’ve harvested, but you can use this information to give you an idea of how bountiful your harvest was. When you can track which grows went better than others, you can keep track of which techniques you’re using and implement them again for your next grow.
When it comes to choosing the right weed scale, there are a few things to keep in mind. It’s easy to go to the store and buy any old digital kitchen scale, but you need to make sure that the scale you choose has the right units of measurement that will help you track your harvest long term.
We’ve done the research and narrowed down the search for the best digital scale for weed growers along with a few buying tips to help you choose the right one.
Last updated: March 12, 2020
|PRODUCT||WEIGHING SURFACE||WEIGHING CAPACITY||PRICE|
|Greater Goods||6″ x 6″||11 lbs.||View on Amazon|
|AccuWeight 207||8″ x 6.5″||11 lbs.||View on Amazon|
|Oxo Good Grips||10.75″ x 8.5″||11 lbs.||View on Amazon|
|Tenergy||8.6″ x 7.4″||11 lbs.||View on Amazon|
|Smart Weigh SWS600 Elite||2.5″ x 3″||600 g||View on Amazon|
- Top 5 Best Weed Scales
- What to Look for When Shopping for a Scale
- Final Review
Top 5 Scales for Weighing Weed
#1 Greater Goods Digital Scale
The Greater Goods digital scale has a long lifecycle and hundreds of reviews from happy growers.
What makes this scale great for weighing weed is that it comes with a premium glass surface that’s easy to clean. It’s also a very modern scale and will match virtually any aesthetic.
Its contemporary design features four precision sensors on the weighing tray that allow for greater accuracy within a one-hundredth of an ounce. The scale has a high contrast LCD display that leaves no room for interpretation. It’s straightforward and easy to read. The whole number and decimals are clearly displayed.
Unlike conventional scales, the Greater Goods calibrates and shuts off automatically when not in use which helps to prolong battery life.
This unit has a large, 36-inch weighing tray that can support up to 11 pounds or 5 kilograms, making it one of the best scales for large-quantity growers.
It has a zero/tare feature that allows you to easily measure smaller items in a container without skewing the numbers. The scale can switch between units of measurement, including ml, fluid ounces, ounces, pounds, and grams.
- A glass surface that is easy to clean
- Precision weighing sensors allow for superior accuracy
- The high-contrast LCD screen is easy to read
- Auto-off feature prolongs battery life
- Large weighing surface that can support 11 pounds
- Uses more than two units of measurement
- The battery may deplete faster than normal
#2 AccuWeight 207 Digital Scale
The AccuWeight 207 Digital Scale is a standard food scale that makes for a really nice portable weed scale.
It comes with a tempered glass platform that is not only strong but also very easy to clean as well as store after use.
The electronic gram scale is integrated with four precision sensors, which provide extremely accurate scale measurements every time.
It has a sufficiently large weighing surface that can hold 11 pounds or 5,000 grams. This high-performance scale features multiple units of measurement, including grams, ml, pounds, and ounces. Not to mention that it is easy to switch between units for accurate measurement.
The tare functionality allows you to accurately weigh smaller amounts of weed inside a container. You do not need to weigh/measure the container. Another impressive feature of this scale is the lock function on the back which ensures that the sensors are not stressed when the unit is not in use.
- Four precision sensors for exact accuracy
- Tempered glass surface is durable and easy to clean
- Multiple units of measurement included
- Easy to read and understand LCD backlit display
- Lock function ensures sensors are safe during storage
- Uses AAA batteries
- Doesn’t measure decimals on grams
#3 Oxo Good Grips Digital Scale
The Oxo Good Grips Digital Scale is a highly accurate milligram scale that is perfect for smaller quantities. Sometimes, you need your measurements to be accurate down to the last milligram. In this case, whip out the tweezers and lay even the smallest amount of weed onto the scale for super-accurate measurements.
The advanced digital display easily pulls out for convenience which also helps to minimize shadow on the weighing surface, making it easier to read the display.
It has a washable stainless steel platform and slim silhouette for compact storage when not in use. It’s also completely cord-free making it perfect for grow rooms that don’t have outlets to spare.
Like other scales on our list, it has a tare function that allows you to weigh weed without including the weight of the container or grinder you’re weighing it in.
- Large weighing capacity platform
- Weighs in multiple units of measurements
- High precision sensors allow for accurate readings
- Tare function allows you to exclude the weight of the container
- Comes with a 10-year warranty from the manufacturer
- May present some problems with calibration
#4 Tenergy Digital Scale
Coming fourth in our list is the Tenergy Digital Scale; a high-quality, multifunction scale, that is both portable, yet powerful. It’s made with a highly durable, scratch resistant and easy to clean tempered glass. It’s 8.6 by 7.4 inch glass top makes it a great size for mid-yield grows.
The modern Tenergy design is not only lightweight and sleek, but it is also integrated with touch-sensitive controls. This scale can easily switch measurements between grams, ounces, pounds and fluid ounces and milliliters. The Tenergy is fitted with high precision sensors for exceptional accuracy. The sensors have a very slight margin for error, thanks to the 1 gram/0.1 ounce accuracy.
- The tempered glass surface is large and scratch-resistant
- Can weigh large quantities up to 11 pounds
- Tare function allows you to ignore the weight of the container
- Can switch between multiple units of measurement
- Highly accurate precision sensors
- Not capable of measuring less than a gram
#5 Smart Weigh SWS600 Elite Pocket Digital Gram Scale
The last scale on our list is one of the smallest and most compact weed scales we’ve seen. It’s perfect for small scale grows. The Smart Weigh Digital Mini Scale is virtually pocket-sized but is just as powerful and accurate as the more robust scales on this list.
It features a flip cover design that protects the entire unit when in storage. It uses a blue backlight LCD display that has large digits that are easy to read. The only thing that may be concerning about this mini scale is the small stainless steel weighing platform, which measures 2.5 by 3 inches with a capacity of 600 grams.
The small weighing capacity makes it ideal for measuring small amounts of weed. But you should expect accurate readings, thanks to the high precision sensors.
Like all top-rated scales for weed in our collection, the SWS600 Elite features the tare function that allows you to exclude the weight of the container when measuring weed.
- Sleek, pocket size, lightweight design that’s easy to store
- You can easily convert between multiple units of measurements
- The blue backlight LCD display is super easy to decipher
- Easy to exclude the container’s weight with tare function
- Easy touch buttons for easy operation
- 500-gram calibration weight not included
- Smaller weighing surface and weighing capacity
What to Look for When Shopping for a Scale
When you want to specifically weigh weed, there are a few key factors to look out for to make sure that your scale will serve your needs long term.
Aside from the digital scales we mentioned here, you can opt for other types of scales if you’re looking for a more old-school addition to your grow space. When shopping for a weed scale, you might come across the following types:
1. Traditional AWS Scale – These traditional American weigh scales (AWS) are normally made of cast iron with separate weights. This type of unit may have pivot and steel bearings for accuracy, strength, and hygiene, but has a limited weight range and is not ideal for accurately weighing weed.
2. Mechanical Scale – These scales feature a number dial, and some types have a rotating weight gauge, which can be reset to zero. These scales can easily become un-calibrated which could skew your measurements if you don’t recalibrate them regularly.
3. Digital Scale – A digital scale, like the ones on this list, is handy for precision measuring. Most digital units have a tare feature that automatically subtracts the weight of the container you use, making them a perfect choice for weighing weed.
Weighing scales usually feature either an analog or digital display. Analog displays are round and have dials that you have to read to determine the exact weight scale. Digital scales are fitted with a backlit LCD display screen that shows viewable numbers that you can easily decipher. Units with a digital display must read zero before each use. Digital scale readouts show weight in a matter of seconds and have much higher accuracy than analog scales.
Depending on the size and capacity of your grow space, you may need a scale that can move around with you, and be small enough to live in your grow area. Most of the scales on our list can be described as stealth scales because they are small and discreet, and not obviously used for weighing marijuana.
When it comes to weighing weed, a scale with an 11-pound maximum and an option to switch from ounces to pounds and grams to kilograms is a good choice. Units with substantial capacity and capable of weighing from 0.1 grams are normally most effective. They normally have high-precision sensors to display accurate readings.
Accuracy, Resolution, & Precision
- Accuracy refers to how close the displayed weight is to the actual weight of the weed you are measuring.
- Resolution is the lowest increment of the weight that can be displayed or detected on the scale. Normally, a resolution is highly affected by the digits (precision) that are exhibited on the display when weighing something. Resolution can be affected by scale design, wear, and friction. So, you have to factor all these to get a high resolution reading.
- Precision refers to the number of decimals your scale can display, making it one of the most important factors to consider when shopping for a portable scale. A precision scale offers confident readings. Not to mention that it is remarkably easy to decipher.
Units of Measurement
Depending on the quantity of weed you’re growing, you need to find a scale that can accommodate the units of measurement that you’ll be using. Most digital scales have settings to choose between American units (ounces, pounds, and tons) and Metric units (milligrams, grams, and kilograms).
Try to choose a scale that can measure in pounds, ounces, grams, and kilograms. The smaller the unit of measurement, the more accurate your numbers will be.
Choosing a weed scale might not be high on your priority list when growing marijuana, but choosing the right one can save you tons of time and headache. When you’re already investing time and money into making your grow space the best it can be, there’s no reason to cut corners on something as simple as a scale.
We hope that by outlining some of our favorite weed scales, you can choose the right one to make your life just a little bit easier while you’re tending to your plants.