The Tax Senior is responsible for all corporate tax accounting tasks—including state and federal tax filings, sales tax, use tax, tax research, and compliance. The Tax Senior will also support additional filings to ensure our financial reporting team has all necessary documentation prior to reporting deadlines.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare quarterly and annual income tax accounting provision under IAS 12/ASC 740
- Manage the preparation and filing of the US federal, state and local income tax returns, estimated tax payments, and extensions
- Collaborate with other members within the Finance organization to align data flow requirements and to optimize efficiency and effectiveness in meeting state and federal reporting and compliance requirements
- Improve the company’s 280E tax strategy
- Assist with the integration and implementation of tax technology tools and data management solutions within the Tax function, including tax planning, compliance, and reporting
- Manage the external service providers and assist the accounting team members to ensure timely tax return filing
- Support the team members with the non-US entities’ tax accounting tasks, including return to provision and deferred tie-out
- Assist in analyzing and implementing tax law changes
- Conduct technical research and documentation as needed
- Assist on domestic income tax audits as needed
- Support tax planning, M&A, and special projects as needed
- Perform other duties as assigned by management
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, taxation, or finance
- 3+ years of tax accounting experience with a publicly traded company or public accounting firm
- Proven comfort and confidence in interactions with tax auditors
- Must have strong problem-solving and time management skills
- Must be highly organized and detail oriented
- Must be comfortable with a fast-paced environment and flexible to daily changes
- Must have strong organizational and communication skills
- Must be authorized to work in the United States
- Must be 21 years of age or older
- Must be willing to undergo a background check
- A mix of public and corporate tax roles is preferred
- Experience with tax complexities in the cannabis industry is a plus
- CPA or other recognized certifications are a plus
- Masters in Taxation is a plus
Physical and Mental Demands:
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to remain in a stationary position, move and/or position oneself, communicate, operate and/or prepare, place, position objects, tools, or controls. The employee must occasionally move packages weighing up to 10 lb. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close observation and the ability to adjust focus. The mental and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an individual, with or without reasonable accommodation, to successfully perform the essential functions of this position.
Work is performed in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this position.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We place priority in an environment of inclusion, diversity and social justice and are committed to securing a better, brighter way forward for our employees, our markets and our communities.
To apply for this job please visit verano.com.